May 25, 2010

Namesake

                    "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" - Thus sayeth the great Shakespeare.If rose had been called whatchamacallit, will we still have the same feel when we see it?
                    Whenever I hear a name, I associate a mental image with it.I find that for some people  their names are a perfect fit.  The pronunciation ,meaning or even the way they spell it clicks right with the person and you cannot imagine the person with any other name.As someone who shares her name with quite a handful of the South Indian woman population(no offense to my parents, I do love my name), I have often wondered if I would have turned out any different if my name had been Srishti or Neha or something like that. :) 
                    My pseudonym was mainly adapted for a practical reason.When I say Archana, most people are tempted to ask , which Archana? And I am forced to give some qualifiers like "Archana from first bench" , "Roll no.12345", "Archana the forgetful" and so on and so forth. Thus to provide a little sense of uniqueness , Srishti was born. (Srishti - Creation, used in higher sense)
                   It is delightful to see the present generation taking the art of naming quite ardently. Most of my single friends have already decided on exotic names for their yet to be born babies.Even though we are progressing quite fast in other aspects, we seem to be returning back  to our roots to come up with classic names which are exotic and modern(Dhruthi, Nephele , Tanisha , Srishti, Rhea to name quite a few).But I somehow feel that it is a great responsibility to label a person with a name ;) As everything else, this art is evolving.
                   With all that said,it's better to live so as to give meaning to our names than to have a meaningful name(As L.M.M says). So what kind of an image is created for your name? Think about it. :) 


P.S.
My image is that of a slightly crazed , mildly idealistic, terribly forgetful book worm, I guess :)


7 comments:

Neeraja said...

That's not the image I associate with your name - it's a bubbly, energetic, garrulous person (so much like Anne :)).
My name - not sure. I think it's a nice coincidence to bear the "neer" in my name and be interested in fish, but that's about it :)

preethi said...

hmmm... now, beats me does the 'ka' in my name make me any different from the million people i would have otherwise shared my name with???

Srikanth said...

//Most of my single friends have already decided on exotic names for their yet to be born babies

I bet none of the guys would have done this :)

btw nice post arch....innum innum innum perusaaa :)

Archana K said...

@ Neeru : thanx :) ur name means stength
@ Preethi : ya , true ur name is unique...
@ Sri : Thanx.Some of them are guys ...

Joel said...

does name matter so much?? At the EOD, all that matters what we think when we hear the name Archana.. :)

Deepu said...

I agree with you. A name matters a lot. It does create an impression before you see a person. Some times wrong.. like Padma Lakshmi :). My self being named Deepu Roy, every one assume I am a Bangali or North Indian or Hindu (but i love my name - its very short and convenient to spell - though i had trouble in pronouncing my name correct :P ). Yes I have thought about how to name my kids as well ;)

Archana K said...

True Deepu. I got the same impressions with your name the first time I saw it:) Glad that you have christened ur kids :P ;)